Ever since the ghost pepper took the crown for the world’s hottest pepper in 2007 in seems the race for the new hottest pepper has accelerated. That said meet the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (or is it Morouga?). According to the photo being circulated Jim Duffy of Refining Fire Chiles the pepper(s) Jim had tested came in at over 2 million scoville units. If true that would crush the previous record of 1,463,700 set by the Butch T Trinidad Scorpion pepper. Prior to the Butch T the Naga Viper had the record for very short period of time and was measured at 1,382,118 scoville heat units.
At 2,009,231 the Moruga is a screamer for sure but what I find interesting is the highs and lows reported on the chart. The bhut jolokia actually beat out the 7 pot and Trinidad scorpion peppers on the high end. The record setting Moruga pepper is on the low end of the heat scale on the low end of measurement. The chocolate 7 pot took 2nd and in this test had the highest score on the low end of the range. Perhaps that signifies a more consistent heat level with that type of pepper.
While Jim may take credit for this grow and for the getting it recorded as the hottest pepper in the world I did some digging to see if I could find who/how and where this pepper started growing in the united states. I was pleasantly surprised, it looks like Christopher Phillips, aka cmpman1974 was the first to acquire the seeds and start spreading them to the pepper community. According to Chris “I got them originally in early 2007. Sent seeds across the world in 2008. They’ve been grown in a lot of countries now. It’s a definitely landrace in Trinidad as told to me by my original source. I have no doubt it’s stable.” Not only does Chris take some of best pepper pictures on earth he’s also a very generous guy. A nice section of my garden this year is dedicated to yellow bhut jolokia seeds Chris sent me a few months ago:-) Thanks for all you do for the pepper community Chris!
Here’s a classic moruga pepper taste test video from the The Hippy Seed Company:
This guy does a nice job with his review too: Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend Homegrown Pod Test
Another good review (some foul language)
Another good one, Buddah vs the Moruga Scorpion
McDermotts vs Trinidad Scorpion Morouga
Recommended by Jim Duffy
If you would like to read more or discuss the morouga blend pepper check these out…
- New World Record??? We Shall See
- Moruga Scorpion New Worlds Hottest Pepper
- Is this a TS Morouga? (a little older but stop by and give Chris props for spreading the seeds!)
- New Record Holder, the Moruga Scorpion Pepper
- The Moruga Scorpion, The New Heat Champ?
- Moruga Scorpion – Hits 2 Million Scoville Units
- Moruga Scorpion – The Hottest Chili Pepper in the World
- It’s official : De nieuwe kampioen is er !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Moruga Scorpion e il nuovo record di piccantezza?
- Introducing the Jimmy D Moruga Scorpion, the World’s Hottest Pepper
- New Worlds Hottest Chilli – Again
- What is a Moruga Scorpion
- Trinidad Scorpion “Morouga Blend” (C. Chinense) (awesome pictures)
- 2 Million scoville – Moruga Scorpion
- Moruga Scorpion is the World’s Hottest Chile Pepper?
- Alweer een nieuwe heetste peper
- A Few Minutes With Jim Duffy….. (an interview from 2011 where Jim talks about the moruga tests)
- The 2M TSMB: Interpreting the results
- February 2012 Poll: Do you think a new chile pepper will ever replace the Moruga Scorpion as the hottest?
- Brain Strain vs TS morouga
- The Results – Moruga Scorpion – Is it the new Hottest Chilli Pepper?
- The Facts Behind the Moruga Scorpion and the Chile Pepper Institute Super-Hot Study: A Talk With Jim Duffy
- 2 Million Scovilles
Looking for Moruga pepper seeds? I would recommend…
You can also try the Pepper Search Engine.