The World’s Hottest Chilli Pepper – Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

Breaking News: Trinidad Scorpion Moruga tests at over 2 million scoville units!

As of June 4 2011 the official Guinness World’s Record page has been updated and recognizes the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” as the hottest pepper in the world.

Meet the Butch T Trinidad Scorpion chilli pepper:

Here’s a great ButchT TS taste test video(some foul language):

And another:

And another…

And one more…

These are the best Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pictures (taken by POTAWIE) I’ve seen:

scorpion

Aug5 013

Sept 8 012

Butch T Trinidad Scorpion Facts and Information

– The record setting Butch T Trinidad Scorpion tested at 1,463,700 SHU (SHU = scoville heat units). The current official Guinness record holder is the Naga Viper pepper which tested at 1,382,118 scoville heat units.

– The record setting Butch T Scorpion was grown in Australia by The Chilli Factory.

The Hippy Seed Company supplied the seeds to the Chilli Factory that were used to grow the 1,463,700 SHU ButchT Trinidad Scorpions.

– The name ButchT or Butch T is after Butch Taylor. Butch is the owner of Zydeco Hot Sauce and person credited with originally discovering this strain. According to a post in this thread Butch was growing out the the Jonah strain, noticed a pod variation and saved the seed. He’s been sharing the seeds for a few years. When sending out seeds Butch would include his first name last initial (common when swapping seeds) on the seed package.

Photo by OMRI

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Seed Packs

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Seed Packs

– According to a comment in this post from Butch he originally acquired the seeds from a seed bank and they had been sent to that bank by ” “Mark” from New Jersey, he used to go by the username of Groovyone on the old gardenweb site”. Learn more about the origin of the Butch T seeds here – The Trail of the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” Strain.

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Seeds

If you’re in to hot peppers you will at some point want to grow this fireball. Here are a few places that may have the ButchT TS seeds for sale. No guarantees and important to note I have not personally ordered seeds from any of these suppliers unless otherwise noted.

The Hippy Seed Company
Refining Fire Chiles
Super Hot Chiles
Amazon
Local Harvest
– Try my Ordering Pepper Seeds search engine.
– Check the list I maintain at thehotpepper.com
– Make a post in the buy/sell pepper seeds section at thehotpepper.com and see if anyone will hook you up.

If you sell ButchT Trinidad Scorpion Chilli seeds leave a comment with your info below and I’ll add you to this list.

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Plants

Refining Fire Chiles

If you sell Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plants leave a comment with your info below and I’ll add you to this list

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Discussions

Butch T is the Hottest
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T – Worlds Hottest Pepper
New Record Broken Again!
BeagleStorm vs. The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Chile
naganumbness eats the butch T scorpion
ButchT Scorps
ButchT Scorpion Sauce
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT (video review)
First Image of the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T”
Special Presentation…The Hottest Chilli In The World the “ButchT Trinidad Scorpion”
NEW worlds hottest chilli (registration required, page 7/8 is where ButchT discussion kicks in)
Passow Eats The Trinidad Scorpion (2009 Post w/comments from Butch Taylor)
News from Australia Trinidad Scorpion New Record 1,463,700 SHU’s
Trinidad Scorpion the Newly Crowned King of Hot Peppers
Butch T tops out 1.46 million
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and The Chilli Factory
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T – The World’s Hottest Chile Pepper Coverage
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T / Verified Hottest?
Interview with Butch Taylor
Trinidad Scorpion Official Guinness World Records Holder at 1,463,700 SHU
Butch T it’s now official…Guinness official!!
The Trail Of the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” Strain

Lastly here’s a link to another post here at the ThePepperSeed, The Hottest Peppers in the World. While not specially about the ButchT TS it is mentioned in the list and there are links and other related info in the comments section.

This entry was posted in Peppers and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to The World’s Hottest Chilli Pepper – Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

1. pepperseed says:

Thank you Neil and congratulations on helping get the Butch T recognized.

2. Robert Stauble says:

Guys
    I am from Trinidad and I grow peppers as a hobby. My favorite is the Scorpion pepper .
    I have seen all the you tube clips of people eating the Aussie version which does actually look like the real deal. But let me tell you if someone put a whole one of my scorpions in their mouth and chewed on it he would probably die (no joking) I have seen foreign visitors who think they can eat hot peppers try my scorpions and beg for medical help.
    The difference I see in the Aussie pepper is that the skin is smoother than the true scorpion which is very bumpy.
    I woud like to get some of my seeds to these guys so that they can really start the propagation of the real Trinidad Scorpion pepper.
    I have also cross polinated the scorpion with a ordinary Scotch bonnet ( Habenero) pepper resulting in a absolutely beautiful mix of flavor and heat.
    I am just a hobby grower and only pleased to share with other pepper enthusiast
    Welcome anyb feed back
    rgds
    Robert

• Sal Genusa says:

I would love to have a few seeds, I am from Louisiana U S A , people here never get enough hot pepper. Maybe these could light them up. Please let me know how to get some of your seeds.
      Thanks
      Sal

• Hi Robert
      I grow a few different strains of Trinidad Scorpions and would love to add yours to my list to compare. Let me know how to contact you and if you are able to provide any. Thanks, Candice.
      sales@wildfirechilli.com.au

• Vishan Dev says:

Hi Robert, I’m from Trinidad too (Claxton Bay) and I would really like to get some Trinidad Scorpion seeds. Probably do some experimenting of my own with cross pollination from 7-pot, chocolate etc. But my real goal is to grow some pure Trinidad scorpions to see what kind of pepper sauce they would make. I’d like to get into contact with you to acquire some of those seeds asap. Thanks.

• femmy says:

email me femmy123@gmail.com if you have trinidad scorpion ,7 pod/trinidad 7, bhut jolokia dry pods or seeds for sale at reasonable price.I want to try to grow them in Indonesia. payment with paypal.thank you

• Luis E Montilla says:

Hi Robert, I’m from Venezuela and grow chili peppers as a hobby too. Once I bought a Bhut Jolokia 12 seed package from The Chile Pepper Institute, NMSU.
      Unfortunately only three of the seeds became seedlings, but some how died out later… Do you have any tips you could share with me on how to make the bed for seeds and how to water them? I wonder how I could get some of your Trinidad Scorpion chili seeds…
      Gracias y saludos

• jade says:

Hey Robert, I’m from Trinidad as well and would like to know where I can obtain some plants/ seeds…..Thanks

• newton charles says:

hi robert i am from trinidad also and im interested in growing this for commercial purposes in trinidad what do you think about that idea

• Keith Knox says:

What Robert Stauble says is true!! .. the only thing close to the heat of a Scorpion is Halle Berry.

• chris says:

Hi Robert ,
      My boyfriend asked me to email you , he is trying to get his hands on a Trinidad Scorpin plant , he loves hot things and really wants to try the real thing not the aussie version . Could you please help me with this ?

Thanks ,
      Chris

• mike burch says:

try calling Penny’s tomatoes and Pepper Joe….Pepper Joe has a full line of the world’s hottest peppers…just goggle him good luck…Mike b

• arlindo oliveira monteiro says:

Dear Robert
      I want to by you Trinidad Scorpion seeds
      It is possible?
      I am portuguese leaving in Portugal
      best regards
      arlindo monteiro

• Zubair Ahmad says:

Please let me know how I can get few of your real Scorpion peppers.
      Thanks
      zubair_usa@yahoo.com

• David Boos says:

Hi Robert

I am from Trinidad but now live in Venezuela. I too grow peppers as a hobby on my cattle ranch. I am very interested in the cross you speak off(Scorpion/Scotch bonnet) and will love to get a few seeds to try. If the results do produce a milder but more flavoufull pepper it would make me happy. as I dont see the point in producing a pepper so hot it can not be enojoyed. I look forward to hearing from you

• Michael Sampson says:

Hi Robert,

I would like to grow a few of these peppers for my garden. Especially the cross that you speak of.

Best regards,
      Michael

3. Noel says:

Is there anywhere online where I can buy just “one” butch t Trinidad scorpion chili pepper plant?

Thanks!!

4. pepperseed says:

Robert, thanks for stopping b y and thanks for the comment. The Butch T scorps are the real deal – all the people eating them in the videos posted here are what I would call professional hot pepper eaters:-) They have all made multiple videos and sampled a number of the world’s hottest peppers. These are not people that would consider jalapenos as a “hot pepper” 🙂 I would love to grow your scorpions though…any chance I could get some seeds?

Noel, not that I have been able to find. It’s getting to be that time of year though when lots of people will be planting out. You could try looking on sites like Craigslist or maybe posting in the marketplace section of http://www.thehotpepper.com and see if anyone has one for sale. Thanks for stopping by!

5. TriniGirl says:

It’s funny these plants grow all over the place in Trinidad, you guys should try peppersauce village, I send the homemade peppersauce with my mom when she comes to visit and when her friends in the US try it. It burns when it goes in and when it comes out, that’s what I’ven been told. So beware and make sure you have some milk and rice near if it’s your first time

6. senny79 says:

I read purple naga just tested at 1,581,800 shu

7. Liu says:

I would try it !

8. I’m in Australia and will have Trinidad Scorpion plants available again next season along with Bhut Jolokia and a few others. In the mean time seeds are still available.

• pepperseed says:

Hi, are the scorpions on your site the butch t variety? If so I’ll update the list in the original post to include you. Thanks!

9. Thomas Dixon says:

does anybody have any freezedried or oven roasted scorpions for sale

10. eddie c says:

thanks ya’ll. after all this info i have ordered a bunch of these seeds. thought i could eat about ant pepper in the world but these little suckers are the BOMB. can’t wait to grow my own. (boy do i have a surprise for my brother in law)